Sunday, January 17, 2010

Anuradhapura: Part 1

Well, a new year has arrived and I couldn't even write a post yet. So, here's one about a trip that I just returned from!  

Spoiler: It has ECLIPSE photos!!! :D

We arrived in Anuradhapura on the evening of the 14th, passing the beautiful Knuckles range and the city of Matale as we headed there from Kandy. In stark contrast to the last time I visited, around July, everything was green this time, the lakes were overflowing with water, and the flora and fauna were in full celebration, after the much needed North-East monsoon successfully delivered her cargo in the last few weeks.

On the 15th morning, we visited the Sri Maha Bodhi, followed by the Jethawanarama complex (including the museum, which we hadn't visited before) and then Mihinthale in the afternoon.

The Bodhi 


The original sapling is held up by the golden supports. There are 4 saplings
planted around the original sapling in order to protect it.



Jetavanaramaya


This was once the tallest stupa in the world, and is still the largest,
with a volume of 233 thousand cubic meters. (Wikipedia)



The Jetavanaramaya shrine room has the old flags of Sri Lanka's provinces depicted
on the ceiling. Being the avid amateur vexillologist that I am, I snapped two photos.

 
 The Peacock flag is from Walapane.

The Museum


...was a bit anal with their photography rules that didn't let me take any photographs inside the building. But if you ever visit A'pura, this place is a MUST visit. You would be amazed at the stuff that they have on display, including a piece of gold less than a centimetre long, on which the ancients had managed to intricately carve 18 or so flowers! There were also bead-necklaces on display, which to me atleast, proved that the ancients had pretty awesome colour coordination skills, since they had used beautiful turquoise and jade coloured stones. Damn I wish I had pics! :(

I did snap these outside the building though:



Stone used to store semi-precious stones and other 'treasure' in the foundations
of ancient buildings. Somewhat akin to modern day Mulgal or foundation stones.


Our ancestors were really good at plumbing, as Cerno would say! :D


Kuttam Pokuna

The twin ponds, or Kuttam Pokuna (or should that be Pokunu?) seemed to be a really popular photo-op for newly wed couples. We met two such couples during our brief visit... :)



 


Stupas from Afar

We then visited the Basawakkulama lake bund to catch a glimpse of Anuradhapura's monuments from afar. We saw 4 major stupas from here: Ruwanwelisaya, Abhayagiriya, Jetavanaramaya and Mirisawetiya.


 Ruwanwelisaya over the lake...

 
...and Abhayagiriya over the paddy fields.


Eclipse

We had our lunch, but totally forgot about the whole annular eclipse taking place, till some guys turned up at the place we were staying with an x-ray and started looking at the sun. The environment grew really dark, and it felt as if you were looking at the world through a tinted glass! I managed to capture the eclipse using the x-ray. Yeah, I know it's not safe to do that, but this could be the last annular eclipse any of us get to see, so I took that risk regardless! :)



 


Mihinthale



 

 
Ambastala Stupa

We visited the cradle of Buddhist civilization in Sri Lanka in the evening, when the rock would cool down enough so that we could make the climb. The panoramic views were breathtaking. I simply love being on high, windy places, as long as there's a railing to cling onto! :D (I have a semi- fear of heights I guess!)

We first climbed to the Mihinthale Maha Stupa, which is a very easy climb with good cement steps:


Mihinthale Maha Stupa


 above and below: view from Maha Stupa



We then climbed the 'Aradana gala', where the Arahath Mahinda landed and is said to have made first contact with Tissa, King of Lanka.


Aradana gala (which translates to 'Rock of Invitation')


I'm particularly happy with this one handed snap I took from the top
of 'Aradana gala', looking at the Maha Stupa. I was (predictably)
clinging on for dear life with my other hand! :D




Ok, 20 photos on a single post is stretching it, so I'll have to break this post into two pieces. I've written the post and scheduled it for tomorrow... :)

And please don't forget to check out Harumi's photoblog for a beautifully written and very detailed account of the historic and religious sites in Anuradhapura... :)

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pics!!! :D specially the last one but they're all gorgeous.. damn the eclipse pics look eerie!!! :) nice nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blacky - Thank you! :D yeah, it was eerie when it happened, the blue sky turned faded dark blue, and there was a sudden uneasy calmness in the surroundings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picturesssss!
    The Stupa especially is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics Chavie! I haven't been to A'pura in about 10 years :-|

    As for the museum not letting you take pictures, most museums are like that. I think it's better that way, rather than allowing people to take photos and then having retards taking photos with the flash on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. Especially the eclipse ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the pictures man. :D

    & ecpecially the eclipse. Naice. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super set of pictures and lovely account on A'pura!

    The eclipse pictures are the icing of the cake! They have come up really well...I missed it cos I was in Colombo on the 15th :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sabby, Middle Child, RSZ - Thank you guys! :D

    Pseudo - Thanks! Wow, that's a long time! :S Me thinks you should go there sometime... :)

    Yeah, totally agree with you! :D Sad about not getting the photos though, I tried to look up any existing photos from the web and failed... :(

    Sue, Dee and GG - Thank you very much! :D

    K - Thank you! :D

    I'm sorry you weren't able to view the eclipse... :( was it raining down here on Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was very sunny here. I saw the unusual darkness around that time..., but didn have equipment to view the sun..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Az - Thanks man! :D

    K - Oh... you could've used the water bucket method to view it though... :( Sad you missed out, it was quite a spectacle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow!!! The Mihinthale pics are great!

    The eclipse reminds me of "Black Hole Sun"

    Loved the post :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Black Rose - Thank you! :D Yep, the sun getting eaten out was a bit discomforting! (to say the least) lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I planned to go to Puttalam just to see the full annular eclipse.. but couldn due to some other work..:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. K - oh dear! :( really sorry about that...

    Btw, did you see this blog? He's got an awesome set of pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Shots. Particularly like the shot of Ruwanwelisaya.

    Anu is one of my favourite places in SL. I just wish the authorities think a bit before they modify ancient temples etc. The awnings over some of the statues and new buildings near the old temples (Dambulla) are shocking. The "petti kade's" are also an eyesore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow.. you're a born photographer Chavie! These pics look so wonderful and the sceneries are all breathtaking. You simply took us on a virtual tour! =D

    oh and the pics of the eclipse.. wow.. it looks great with the X-ray sheet.. ne? I missed that ring shaped part, so glad to see it here. Your final pic is the best I've seen.. with all those sun rays against the Stupa .. looks totally artistic and unique.

    PS: hehe.. thanks for mentioning my blog, but I reckon this post is the best! ^__^

    PPS: You might already know about it or may not so anyway, check out this page, it's a one run by that N'goda company, and they accept travel stories and pics like these. You should give it a try. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dev - Thank you! :D

    Yes, you are completely right. One of the examples of modifications destroying the ancient artefacts is Mirisawetiya, which had perfectly preserved ancient 'Whalkada', with really impressive carvings etc. During the renovation of Mirisawetiya, the concrete shell that they were building around the stupa collapsed, destroying those priceless artefacts... How can we ever get them back? :(

    Harumi - Awww! *blushes* Thank you!!! :D

    Yep, I tried not to stare too much through the x-ray sheet with my naked eye. But it works great as a lens-filter! :D And Thank you! :D Totally a random shot that turned out much better than expected! ;)

    Noooo, your writing is awesome! Mine is totally noobish in comparison! :D

    Oooooh, I did not know about this! :D I will check it out! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice pics Chavie, especially the last one - which looks absolutely gorgeous. Mihintale is my favourite cultural site as you are never too far from birds! Prof. J.B. has written a lovely book about Mihintale - have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! I did see this eclipse from Hunas Falls Hotel well. I enjoyed the drop in temperature and that dimmed light quality.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amila - Thank you very much! :D Yes, it's a wonderful place, the world's oldest recorded nature reserve if I remember correctly! :D I have not read Prof. Dissanayaka's book, but I'm a big fan of his work and I guess the book is really good! :D

    Glad you caught the eclipse! I guess the drop in temperature was more noticeable in colder areas like Hunnas Falls. Later on I also saw plenty of photos of the crescent-shaped shadows that the sun cast through trees... :)

    ReplyDelete