Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's ROYTHO Taiym!!! :D

I'm about to make a shocking revelation. Recent polls have shown that most people don't go to the Roy-Tho to watch cricket! This might be shocking, but it kinda makes sense too.


A wise man (I can't remember exactly, but I guess it was a blogger) once said "The Roy-Tho isn't a match mate, it's a freaking Carnival!", and I couldn't agree with him more. What sets this 131-year-old annual spectacle (the second longest running continuous series in the history of Cricket) apart from any other match is the carnival-like atmosphere that prevails. The segment of the match that most people really look forward to isn't the cricket, but the breaks - for lunch, for tea and after play has finished - when everybody takes to the field and goes around and around, meeting old friends and making new ones. The huge Royal and Thomian college flags make their laps, and old boys singing their school songs lustily. Everyone joining in on the fun: the old, the new, the Royalists, the Thomians, the boys and of course, the lovely ladies that the big match never fails to attract.

Play will get underway in a couple of hours time, and I'll be missing the first day due to some unfortunate circumstances. But all I can say right now is "I'm glad to be a (tiny) part of this!". May the brotherhood and the friendly rivalry between these two great schools last forever! :)

17 comments:

  1. Can't believe I'm missing another year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we win =D I'll be there in few hours. It's the best damn thing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hear hear :D hope u get well soon to see the match..

    GO ROYAL!!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly anyone goes there just to watch the match..So many thing to do and..why waste your time just watching cricket :)

    GO ROYAL!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a bigmatch in my ilfe. or any cricket match for that matter.

    sad noh?

    hmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roytho is a sacred event. How did this assclown Indi Samarajiva who belongs to neither school end up showing up there? OMG this clown is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, who is that DASHINGLY handsome man in the foreground of the photo? IS IT GOD?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drunken mumble... cricket? there's a match on?

    COME ON THORA!!! ado... pour me a drink!

    Rappa Ra Ra Raaaaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never been to one either :S bt it sounds like super fun :D have fun when u get there chavs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol I went about 10 years ago... carrying the flag of my favoured school and all! :) I also got chewing gum on my top because I leaned against a wall some noob had used to park his gum.... that may be one reason why I never went again....

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've never been to a big match either...miss it loads...and now i'm away from home anyway..but...we've got the royal-tho big match heat here aswel...:)..it's fun...wish i could be there..:(..have fun...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dev - Hopefully next year mate! :(

    Sue - Yaaay! Thanks! :D

    Me-shak - Hope we do mate! Go THORAAA! :D

    The Unsilent - Thanks mate, I'm hoping to go tomorrow, in sickness or in health! :D

    Kirigalpoththa - Yep, so many many things to do! :D Hope you're have an awesome time at the match mate!

    Lady D - It's high time you did! Get Chaar to take you!!! :D

    Anon - Ohai, NB!

    GG - Hehehe, I hope for rain! :P lol ;)

    Ravana - A man who fought against 'gods', from what I've heard! ;)

    Sean - Hahaha, definitely mate! Hey you must going this time no? Hopefully we see each other there! :D Go Thora!!! :D

    Black - You should make it man, really really should! And I will, Thank you! :D

    Angel - Ooooh, sounds like quite an experience! Haha, must've been some n00bass bugger who drank too much! :)

    Penny - Awww! Hope you can make it next year! Yeah, I think Old Boys of the two school come together to celebrate the spirit of the Roy-Tho, no matter where they live! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chavie, I'm missing the match this year - after a long, long time. Sad. But what to do no?
    Have fun buddy!
    And yes, no one goes to watch the match. It's the stag, the batch dinner, drinks, meeting friends and swapping stories... and an occasional photo op with Ginger! That is, in addition to having a jolly-good time!
    Go Royal go..!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jackass, get over this obsession with me will you. I don't leave anon comments on useless blogs. You see Mr.Chavie of Maharagama, i have a name unlike you, and am proud of splashing that all over! So please go see a doctor who might cure this illness you have. I shall pay if needed. I normally don't entertain the mentally ill though in your case i am prepared to make an exception.

    Oh yeah.. lets say hi at the big match. Is your little dick still stuck at the boys' tent? Can i expect you've got an upgrade to the grandstand this year?

    Please man, stop this nonsense. I repeat i don't leave anon comments. So get real.

    Love & Hugs
    NB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Serendib - That's sad man... yep, vut tu du! :( Will do! Thanks! :D

    NB - Grow up, dude!

    ReplyDelete