Wednesday, November 18, 2009

random post #60

One word that I wish was easier to say in Sinhala is 'cousin'. I mean, 'ඥාති සහෝදරයා' is too long and too formal, and 'නෑනා' makes me uncomfortable cos it always reminds me of cousins getting married and shiz... :/ I mean if there was a simpler, less-formal term, like say 'කසයියා' (I hear the thunder gods grumble in the distance!) errr! ok, ok, what about 'ඥායියා' then? :P no? but WAAAIIIII?! :(

***



The areas that I've highlighted in the picture above, near the Rukmale housing scheme, used to be two tall proud granite mountains, the closest there were to our house I think. The one in the bottom was strikingly beautiful, shaped like the head of an Elephant. But sadly, they're no more, since they've almost totally been blasted apart to make those small rock pieces used in road construction. Sad, I know! :(

***

This blogger will be beginning his new life at the university from next Monday! yay for the fact that it'll make me employable, boo for the fact that I can't sleep all day and not have any work to worry about! :( And this morning a wise wise friend of mine shared this gem on Facebook! :D


"The back rows [in class] produce the wise"

So, that's it for now. Will post again soon with any updates... :) 

15 comments:

  1. LOL on the cousin names! :)
    Hey, wish you all the best Chavie with your new beginnings...Geesh you make me feel ancient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The back rows [in class] produce the wise"
    Says the idiot-produce from the back row :P

    And good luck with Uni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. you are going to be an undergrad soon! Congrats and best wishes!

    You will find similar golden quotes in most of the uni class rooms and specially on library desks..:)

    I myself spent nearly 5 years as an undergrad in one of the universities just south of Colombo..It was a great time with lots of nostalgic memories..

    ..You'll surely like uni life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont understand much Sinhala. Wise words written on table. :D
    Ooo & Congrats on ur Uni Adventure. :D All zee best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind wishes!!! :D

    Sue - haha :D any suggestions as to what you should call cousins? And I'm not even sure if you can call male cousins නෑනා! ;D

    Thank You and NOOOOOOOOO, you're not ancient okai?! :)

    Sabby - hey don't call them that! I used to hang out in the back-ish areas during my first year of A/L too! lol ;)

    and Thanks! :D

    Kirigalpoththa - Thank you!!! Yes, I've heard that many consider uni as a wonderful time in their lives and I hope that I'd love it too! ;)

    GG - Thank you, and yeah, wise words! ;) I'm not planning to live by them though! :P ;) lol

    Pseudorandom - Thanks mate! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Uni and being employable!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Rukmalgama... Have beautiful memories there, in my school days. and of course, agree wholeheartedly with the back-row theory.
    Good luck with the uni, be a rebel, be a hero, but leave what should be left behind when you walk out of the gates with a degree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MC - hehe :D

    Cadence - Thank you! :D and Yay indeed! ;)

    Serendib - You lived in Rukmalgama? :D cool! Thank you and now that sounds like a scary prospect: What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas eh? ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chavie, next time you Type Rukmalgama be thoughtful enough to add 90210. Man! Have you seen all the talent there?

    Congrats on your wonderful rite of passage of sorts of entering uni life! Look forward to reading your posts about uni-life now.

    p.s. I think 'random post'is a cool idea...I used to do posts named 'masala'...in the same style (well, sort of), but never went as far as reaching the 60th post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I call my cousins "cousina" (pronounced "ku-see-na), it makes people smile and they also understand what I mean...

    And YAY on your new undergrad life! Study hard, party hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amila - Or we could add the post code for the area, 11129! ;) lol :D

    Thank you! will have loads to write about, I'm sure! ;) :D

    I did read one of your recent masala posts, and no I don't have 60 random posts, I just started off at 'Random Post #57'... just a random number to keep with the whole randomness, you know? ;) lol

    Angel - hahaha that's a good one! :D I should try that out sometime! ;)

    Thank you! :D will party, and will try my best to drag self away from the screen and study! lol ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tagged! http://cadence9.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/a-letter-to-my-16-year-old-self/

    ReplyDelete