Wednesday, August 26, 2009

random post #59

random post #57 can be found here
random post #58 can be found here

I didn't have much to write about recently, well I did, but I chose not to on the blog, since the whole thing is kinda a fluid situation. Once it resolves itself (peacefully I hope! lol) I'd be really happy about it and then forget about it really fast as well! :D

Ok, I know that paragraph didn't make any sense but I'll keep it anyways for future reference... ;)

since this is a random post, it doesn't really have any topic, but looking at the last random post, I dunno, I feel like it's gotta have one, so here goes:

Blogger is finally growing up!

My favorite blogging service turned 10 just 3 days ago, and it's rolling out some impressive stuff to celebrate its birthday. Already we've seen hubbub (an impressive new feature that will turn your RSS feeds into real time streams! or in non-geek language: deliver your blogposts to your blog's readers lightning fast!), one click sharing of your favorite posts on Google Reader via blogger or twitter, and a new label cloud feature, but non of them have been as impressive as I anticipated. Plus, my flash based moving tag cloud (does anyone over at Wordpress.com have this? no? hoo hoo! :D lol) makes the label cloud redundant...

So here are my bets on what they're going to roll out in the next few weeks (or rather what I want to see them roll out!) -
  • static pages (w00t! w00t!)
  • better (ok ok Wordpress-style then) comment moderation (not that I'm going to use it! I don't delete comments... EVER! - unless they're spam)
  • nested comments
  • aand greater Google Analytics incorporation (something like a traffic info gadget...)

A complete list of suggested improvements can be seen here.

This was a useless post, but I'm going to publish it anyway! ;)

Footnote: just found out that the people who first created Blogger at Pyra Labs, went on to create Twitter... interesting! :)

8 comments:

  1. btw WP has a fan page in FB :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Plus, my flash based moving tag cloud (does anyone over at Wordpress.com have this? no? hoo hoo! :D lol)"

    Hooo Hoooo!!! Blogger pwns Wordpress. =D =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read your post leisurely since I don't seem to get any of it when I skimmed through. o__O Anyway wanna let you know you've been tagged! Check it here. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting trivia. not at all useless...

    Glad to know more features are to come for Blogger.

    Learning to add a few features to mybkog these days. (horizontal menu bar etc.. ) But couldn get a satisfactory design yet..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrible in upgrading and bringing in new features!

    so.. must try some of these out...=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ran: of course it does! :D and I think I'm a fan too... I support any and all FOSS projects and Wordpress is a shining example of that movement! :)

    @GG: Indeed it does! ;) haha

    @Harumi: lol, I responded! :D

    @Kirigalpoththa: Glad you found it interesting! :D If static pages come they'll have to introduce a built-in menu bar anyway! :D

    @Lady D: I'd recommend the label cloud, since you don't have one already... :) it saves space and lets people visit posts with the relevant labels quickly! :)

    Thanks for your comments guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chavie.

    Good to hear about blogger having new stuff up. The Real time RSS will be good.. but I wonder if I'd getta respond to them real time too.. -__-

    Yep, that animated tag cloud is cool, though it does affect the loading time a lil. BTW what's this new static page thing, aren't our posts static already?

    You totally can't live without Google Analytics can you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Harumi: lol, I think nobody really responds in real time, but the distribution model is good, reduces the load on individual blogs and all... :)

    our blog posts are pages yes, but these are like the about page and all, where it'll have a link like: x.blogspot.com/about.html -that's something wordpress offers but blogger doesn't... :)

    lol, it'll be easier with a gadget like that to show top posts and traffic sources and a lot of info on the blog, without relying on 3rd party widgets! ;) btw, did you check out Analytics? :)

    Thanks for your comment Harumi! :)

    ReplyDelete