Monday, January 24, 2011

A month in a post

Erm, so hi! Yeah it's me again, the kid who went AWOL all of a sudden. Trust me, there's a good explanation as to why I wasn't around, and as to why my left arm has been shaved of all fur hair just above the wrist. But this is not a time for such trivial pursuits. Or is it? Nah.

Anyway, I was genuinely offline for like 9 days and apart from external factors like nausea and the fact that I was peeing saline... it felt good. It felt good to have some down time. I even learned how to turn off worrying about all the lectures I was missing. I still haven't been able to switch that back on, even after I realised today that I have no flipping clue as to how one could get a user's keyboard input on a Java program (this lapse in programming knowitallitary has since been rectified). Sometimes you realise that there are bigger things, that you could just drop dead and the world could move on without so much as a whimper, that the true value of friendship becomes apparent only when you're lying in a prison (of sorts) unable to move about, that sometimes the little things matter - like you eat one grape too much and you throw your whole dinner down the toilet. It's then that you realise that your dickish, constantly moody, nothing's-ever-good-enough attitude hasn't got you anywhere, and that we're all human and we're all mortals and that we should all chill a bit and be kind to each other and all other kinds of drug-induced crazies. But seriously, this post is getting nowhere.

I just want to jot down something here that's far more important than my ramble up there:

On the 13th of Jan, just 11 days ago, Colombo experienced temperatures of 18.8 Celsius, the lowest recorded in over 6 decades. That day, due to unusually high cloud and an extremely clear lower atmosphere, my little obsession was visible: not only from the 12th/15th floors where we usually look at that, but even from the lunch room of a certain 5 story building, from what I heard. I was in bed that day, unable to crawl out. I missed that golden golden day, and that is perhaps the only thing I regret about this whole month. Meshak got some pictures of it though and hopefully he'll put them up. (I got a sneak peek of the pics off his phone a couple of days later.)

So that's that, that was my Jan. I hope yours was happy and fulfilling. :)

10 comments:

  1. oh no chavs! what happened? anyhow heres wishing you have helluva february :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooer :( Glad you're (seemingly) better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're completely well now. It was 10C at Flowerbook the day it was 18C over there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delilah - Nothing too serious, though the ramble made it sound so. :D I guess all of our accumulated sins (and I don't mean that in a moral or religious sense) have to break out sometime and take their dues from the body. :) Hoping to make February and the rest of the year epic... Thank you! :D

    Pseudo - Thank you! :D Much better now. :)

    Java - Yep, feeling loads better! Wow, that must've been quite a treat. :D Hope the rains haven't been too bad (landslide inducing) over there. :)

    Thanks for dropping by, guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are better now.

    btw, i also saw your obsession, from a 4th floor in Rajagiriya. there are no high rises and you get a clear view. This was coupla days back, during the cold spell. no pics though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey,

    What happened? I was wondering and thought you might be busy with uni work. Anyway glad you are back on track..

    Oh I too missed the sightings on the 13th. Anyway waiting to see Me-shak photos.

    Your hypothesis seem to be correct!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Az - Thank you! :D

    Yeah, seems like it was visible all around this time. Pity you didn't have a camera with you. :(

    Kirigalpoththa - I broke that 2nd new year's resolution from the last post. ;) But everything's back to normal now and I'm getting back to work. :)

    Yeah, hope Meshak can upload the pics soon.

    You mean about the water vapor and stuff? :D Yeah I guess so, and the huge dry, cold Indian airmass that pushed in (causing the cold temperatures) certainly helped things. :)

    Thanks for the comments, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back!! and I know why were not around ;O) just what did you eat????

    ReplyDelete
  9. GG - Thank you, squiggly toes! (your display pic) :D

    Hoot - Thank you! :D I dunno, I never eat out alone and nobody I've eaten with (parents, uni friends, bloggers) have any semblance of an illness. O_o Strange is not the word. :D

    Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

    ReplyDelete