Monday, January 31, 2011

Javin'

So, hello there after a long long time! :D It's been almost two and a half months since I last posted, so I'd like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year first!

So, yours truly and his friends have now been elevated to the rank of second year students, tasked with keeping the peace and giving the first years a hard time (Well, not really. They have been giving everyone else a hard time, though!). So with being a second year student comes the opportunity to study that intriguing language, Java. I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the language - or Java culture. People seem to love it, and use it as a golden hammer in programming (check out this xkcd comic), or as we say in Sinhala - a කෝකටත් ෛතලය. In their mad dash to popularise the language, they've spread a lot of misinformation (I once saw in a book belonging to a cousin of mine that the -local- author had stated that Java was faster than C and C++, a fact that any real programmer knows is utter bull). But anyway, I'll share a simple programme I did in Java today. It does nothing of use really, but I just love the fact that I wrote some single line methods. ;)

So, here it is. The things I love about Java are many (as anyone switching over from the rigid C++ environment will tell you), but the foremost among them is the ease with which strings can be handled. I mean C++ makes you wish you weren't born when it comes to string handling, and while Java isn't exactly perfect, it does much better than C++. I just wish there was a compiled language that combined Java's ease of use with C++'s speed and power. But I guess it's already invented (there are literally hundreds of programming languages listed on Wikipedia alone) and I'll discover it someday. ;)

That's all the time we have for today, but do stay tuned. We might have World Cup coverage (haha, fat chance!). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment