Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Things

I've been a bit busy in the past few days. And things will only get more so, with exams approaching. I'm kinda excited about the things we're learning these days, bar the antics of a certain Statistics teacher who has wild mood swings. We're learning regular expressions next week! Things I've heard about for such a long time, and we're getting to try it out! :D And yes, we've hit the fifth stage by learning Perl. ;) So exciting stuff, albeit very tiring.

I've been keeping a close eye on the destruction in Japan. My mom got the text message about some radioactive rain falling in Sri Lanka or something. Totally agree with Pseudo that children should be taught basic nuclear science so that people don't panic unnecessarily like that. I mean, every time someone mentions the word 'Nuclear', people think of Chernobyl, Hiroshima and cancer. The phobia is so much that MRI scans, which should be called 'Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging', had to drop the N so as not to scare off patients. But seriously, panicking over Nuclear power is so 1950s! People should get with the times already.

And in other news, I will be casting my first vote tomorrow! :D Yep, pretty excited about this. Look for a purple pinky to be my profile pic on Facebook for a couple of weeks to come. ;)

P.S. I broke with tradition and didn't post a big match update this year. I didn't get tickets early for the match, and when it looked like a friend could set me up with some tickets, I fell ill. I should stop this nasty habit of falling sick right before the big match. :( Anyway, it was a wonderful game and I watched a lot of it thanks to the live broadcast on Prime TV (or CSN) and on ThePapare.com. A big "Thank You!" to those guys for making it possible for us unlucky folk to catch the action. :D

6 comments:

  1. Luckily there was no rain yesterday so the life in Colombo was not too chaotic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, it's good that it didn't... Imagine people running around trying to avoid the rain? :D

    Thanks for the comment, K! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with exams and I too have been hacking away in Perl for a project.
    Yep, sad stuff in Japan and we have been watching it closely as we have many many close family friends in Japan. Luckily none are directly affected. The +cloud reached Cali though and they measured tiny amounts of +Iodine but we are having heavy rains (5cm of hail) so everything goes back to the Pacific I guess! Yummy tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magerata - Thank you! :D We're still about a month away but the workload is building up. :)

    I saw your tweet about your sister. So glad she's safe. I heard there was a small increase in background radiation, but nothing to panic about. xkcd had a great chart about radiation doses, btw. Puts things in perspective. :)

    Thanks for the comment, mate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for thinking about my sis, even though she is safe, now she doing volunteer work. Mom (we too) a bit freaked out about the radiation. She is a MD and she is beyond the 80 mile radius. She worked in SL too but I did not want to publicize it. She and her fiancée (he is mad 'cos I did not mention him in my tweets :) were on their way to Indonesia to work. Hope they are safe.
    Yep I sent the XKCD to my Mom and almost got hit via a text

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she'll stay safe, and may she help a lot of people! :) Very brave of them to go into a disaster zone and help people like that...

    Fukushima is still shimmering... can only hope they manage to do something about it in the next few days... :(

    ReplyDelete