Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Recap

November started off on a positive note with a presentation at uni that went off pretty well on the first day of the month. But plenty of other things that were planned didn't happen as expected, but it was a good month nonetheless.

I learned a fair bit of C, and can implement everything we learned up to now at uni using it. Object orientation and such are obviously not supported, but the workarounds exist and as many programmers say "C is easier to learn in its entirety, and that is the biggest advantage it gives a coder". Basically, when you know exactly what the language can and cannot do, it makes coding so much easier and more productive.

A thing I didn't get to do was visit ol' Tommy. The time elapsed since I last saw him has hit a new high of 5 freaking months! :( And I don't think I'll get to visit him this weekend either. Sucks ass.

A lot of the travel planned for November had to be shelved, especially due to the bizarre weather conditions. The family did visit Katharagama and the south, but it was a rain affected journey. The planned hike to Nuwara Eliya with Uni buddies didn't work out, and neither did Arugam Bay with Sai and the old thread gang. I did get to spend an extraordinary amount of time at Sai's place though (thanks for the lunches, Sai! :D And the lulz too.) Spending time with one of your best friends in the whole world who only drops by the island once every 15 months or so is one of the true delights of life. :)

Hmmm, so what else. Watched a couple of movies, including "Toy Story 3" (How the hell does Pixar impress over and over again like that???) and "The Social Network"  by David Fincher. The latter was one of the best movies I had ever seen. It had the obvious geek appeal for me ("OMG Zuckerberg uses Linux!!!") and also the first Beatles song in a soundtrack that I've heard in a long time (Baby, You're a Rich Man, off Magical Mystery Tour. Beautiful song.) But what I loved about the film is that he achieved in a couple of years things that most people wouldn't in their entire lifetime. And it made me think... What's the point of being called a geek, what's the point of knowing what a wget command does if you don't apply that stuff and do something exciting, do something that you can be proud of? Will you forever be remembered as a nameless faceless glorified typist who slaved away coding some buggy commercial software, or will you be remembered as a Torvalds, a Stallman or a Cohen? Someone who gave up a boring, well paying life to do something that they genuinely found exciting and worth working towards? It's something I'll have a long hard think about in the next couple of months.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about you being kept away from Tommy.

    And couldn't agree with you more on the blasted raining putting a damper on plans!

    Best is to plan a trip in which the rain would actually make it more fun. Perhaps a SinhalayaTravels trek? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg - Yeah, hopefully I'll get to see him a couple of times this December. *fingers crossed* :)

    Yeah. Too bad it had to wait till the season when everyone's got holidays and stuff to pour down. :(

    Yeah, that'd be awesome. :D Himal and I were wondering the other day if any of the guys were up for a trip. :D

    Thanks for the comment, Meg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very bad of you - not seeing Tommy for 5 months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. urm who's Tommy? Sorry for my ignorance...

    Was thinking of whether to watch The social network...but the trailer looked boring....is it because I am no geek?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoot - Hehe no worries! :D Tommy's my dog from Rathnapura, the sweetest, most intelligent dog I've ever met. :D

    You should definitely watch it. It's not geeky at all, just some of the stuff he did just resonated with me. :D I didn't see the trailer, but you'll love the movie. :)

    Thanks for the comment, Hoot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. social network rawked. totalleh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Losh - Yes it did! :D

    Thanks for dropping by! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.. that cute Tommy! Do go see him and bring more pics. ^__^

    Wow.. so that's a movie about FB. Well I guess with that much of success they deserve one, no doubt.

    Yep, choosing your path can be tricky. But you can always take detours if you feel you're in the wrong track. Aren't there any famous geeks that you can look up to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haruimi - I did! Took some cute pics, will put them up sometime! :D

    Haha yeah, with success comes drama! ;) That movie was brilliant.

    Yep, I agree with you. :D And there are plenty of geeks, some of whose names I've used in the post. :)

    Thanks for the comment, Harumi!

    ReplyDelete