Sunday, November 7, 2010

The quest for cheap slippers

I'm the kind of guy who wears slippers anywhere (apparently not Coffee Stop, guess that's another for my list of places to never ever visit), hopefully even to my grave. But my old pair of DSI Beach slippers are getting a bit old and I wanted something nice and comfortable to replace them. I always considered spending more than 200 bucks on a pair as blasphemy, but if you're going for the 200 rupee limit there's not really a lot of choice in the local market.

Trusty old DSI beach
The selection is further limited by the fact that I'm a bit anal about details. My ideal pair of slipper has to:

a) Be flat topped. No spiky 'health' slippers for me Sir, thank you very much.
b) Shouldn't be too thick.
c) The top and the bottom should both be very non-slippery, since I jump off buses in the rain in these things.
d) The shape should be the proper round foot-like shape and not hexagons or something.

So I begin my search at Bata. The slippers are a couple of cents cheaper than those at DSI, which is always a nice thing. There's nothing much in the way of colour selection, but dark blue or red with a white stamp on it looks pretty good. Things are going pretty nicely till I flip the slipper over. OMG, the most horrid underside I have ever seen. Plastic, baby... slippery slippery plastic. I throw away the failslippers in disgust and mosey over to DSI.

The DSI beach slippers look good. I like their blue, black and red colours, but their green and orange leave a lot to be desired. I spot this nice looking dark blue pair, but the price tag says 700 BUCKS. -_____- Stupid 'Walkers'...

So I guess there are two kinds of people in this country. People who spend 700 bucks so that their slippers look good, and those who don't. The vast majority of people belong to the latter category, but they're being kept away from slippers that have a semblance of style in them and are possibly being put at deadly risk with those stupid plastic undersides.

Why can't Bata make slippers like these anymore?

Elegant slippers for a more civilised age

18 comments:

  1. I recently got a new pair of slippers. I spent 400 bucks on them.
    *sheepish*

    But! They have a nice pattern on them which is nice since I can wear it to a lot of places and not look like a hobo. Unfortunately it's flat topped.

    How can you not like the dotted health slippers?? They're more flexible, offer better traction and are, in a week or two, more comfortable than the flat topped ones! I'm going to get a pair of those to wear whenever I don't have to have something better than bata's to get into a place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once bought this cheap pair of slippers and drew some patterns with a paper knife. It works. Spending 700 bucks is just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Chavie. Sad to know slippers are so expensive these days :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm did u actually check DSI? They seem to have some funky stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry - 400 is okay, I guess. *judges you* :D

    Well, I don't know about the health slippers. I just don't like the way they look, wouldn't wear them outside the house for the same reason. :/

    Thameera - Interesting idea, should try it out. :D

    B.I. - Thanks! And yeah. :(

    Dee - They do, but not in the affordable range. :(

    Thanks for the comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. at first i was like wth?? 200 bucks? in my currency 200 bucks is probably equivalent to 2000 rupees... hehhe... but yeah, 20 bucks for flipflops should be the ceiling price.. or at most 30 :P

    if you're a girl the ceiling price helps your wallet since your footwear collection could get pretty massive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wearing slippers, even to church and stuff. I get blasted from my dad but what the hell :) Stupid "Arugambay" slippers have no grip at all. I properly slipped at least a dozen times. I prefer the spiked slippers. More comfy I guess.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gawd u picky nitwit. :P

    trust me the 'Waves' range are cool and very very comfy. its more like wearing soft sand under ur heels. but yes 400 onwards the price. :I

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losh - Hahaha :D Well girls and shoes, that's a special bond one can say. ;)

    Meshak - Haha yeah, slippers = getting blasted, agreed. The top side of the Arugams, though comfortable, doesn't really offer a grip. Guess that's the reason for the slipperiness. :)

    GG - There are some things in life you can't compromise on. ;)

    Yeah, that's the scene. :(

    Thanks for the comments, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a rubber slipper person too. And the pair of slippers you've described is exactly what I want!

    I got myself a pair of those new DSI type and they've been nothing but pain...

    From my epic fall in a bakery to slipping while climbing down a flight of stairs, and landing on my bum on both occasions, I've decided I don't like these fancy 'no-grip' slippers!

    Death to them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your elegant slippers remind me of cowhide.

    From fresian cows.

    Um.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Chav. One of my birthday resolutions was never to wear rubber slippers out again. :D failing which.. anyway.. been thinking maybe I should get a pair of those flat topped ones & refashion. Comfort & Chic.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Puppeteer - I think I know the kind you mention, the one with the slippery topside yeah? Death to them indeed. I mean we have been making slippers in this country for decades, you'd think the grip will get better and not worse... but it doesn't. -____-

    Angel - Haha, I'd take that as a compliment. I like... um, LOVE cows. :D

    Book Baker - Yeah man, nothing can ever be as comfortable as a pair of rubber slippers. And they're good for any type of weather: no wet socks, no leaking soles! :D

    Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol Did you by any chance wear them (1st pair) for trekking? =D

    True about what you say. Most of the slippers we find in the market nowadays have gaudy colors and designs. And that totally smooth and shiny soled slippers, think they're ideal for water-skiing on flooded roads these days ne? ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Harumi - Oh I've worn them everywhere. :D From uni to the slippery hills of Mathugama... they grip well and are very comfortable. :)

    Haha, agreed! :D Who needs surfboards or roller-blades when these slippers are slippery enough already?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure you can wear those ol' pair for few more months.

    When those dark colored patches cover 50% of the slipper you may look for a new pair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kirigalpoththa - Oh I fully plan to do that, until the straps break! :D Throwing away a good pair of slippers is such a waste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Finally blog with beneficial informations.

    ReplyDelete