Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Malli..."

"Sit down, I want to talk to you guys" A guy pushes his way into the hall just as we were about to leave.

"Three things I wanna tell you. First, there's an Avurudu festival at Malabe tomorrow, I want everyone in this class to attend."

When he spoke, the class that many lecturers had found hard to control was dead silent.

"Second, there are some absolute jerks in the second year. Please don't get provoked by them. I know that you guys can hammer the shit out of those fellows, but please don't. They're in better terms with the lecturers, and you guys will end up getting suspended in vain."

The guy, who looked really familiar for some reason, spoke on without any sort of hesitation in his voice. He was facing a crowd of a hundred and fifty increasingly hungry students that he was keeping from having lunch. But everyone was still uncharacteristically silent.

"Third, remember why you came here. Not to flirt, not to get into messy relationships, but to study. I'm not telling you not to have fun. Have a girlfriend, or girlfriends or whatever! But don't forget your core target here. Don't let some girl or boy or friend or even your best friend ruin that for you."

"Ok, now cheer up. What are you guys, robots or something? Don't look so scared, I'm just another guy who's giving some helpful advice. So, anyone here who disagrees with me?"

Silence.

"Anyone here who agrees?" "Raise your hands" "Oh come on! Raise them UP!!!"

I think the whole class raised their hands. I sure did... :)

***

Like I said before, he looked quite familiar. I later found out that he was from my school, a few years my senior. There are group projects that student groups have to do, and usually these groups have 10 students. His group has only 3, I got to know, and they have consistently got the highest marks in their batch for all group assignments. If you can go into a hall full of 150 hungry and rather badly behaved first years and speak to them for 15 minutes and get out of there alive, then I don't see how you can even dream of screwing up a presentation in front of a couple of nice lecturers... :D

14 comments:

  1. that's some nerve he got. inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are just born leaders...he sounds like the correct sort of leader..the one who knows how to approach..handle and execute any given situation..:)..you freaked out a bit didn't you..:P..????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. like Penny says he is a born leader and an awesome speaker. I mean anyone can grab the attention with a loud voice but no one can retain it for that long without getting any retaliation. And best of all no one even dared to ignore him. This guy is really awesome! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ado...... He is from ST*? Cool :D
    I feel wicked and proud, buhahahahah(wicked laugh)
    Yes, He has got some balls!
    great stuff!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember two people who could gather 100 - 200 people easily by just shouting 'malli' when i was in uni!

    One is now holding one of the most coveted position in the government and the other is contesting to the parliament in today's general election :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal Flame - Yeah, real gutsy dude! :D

    Penny - Yeah, sorta freaked out, but was more concerned about getting out of that room since I had to meet someone for lunch... lol :D

    Harumi - Exactly! Retaining the attention is what's really impressive. Groups of seniors come to talk about stuff all the time, and they can barely even finish what they're saying, but this guy single-handedly managed to tell what he wanted to tell and get away with it! lol :D

    Meshak - Yep, I told you he was from college! :P And your other assumption about him was also right, I dunno how you did that but you need to teach me! lol :D Also, I think it'll be better if the 5 of us stick together for the group work without getting other people involved... ;)
    (I mean, his group has only 3 people... I bet that with 5 we can do even better)

    Kirigalpoththa - Sounds like people who'd make it big in government and business! :D If you have that kinda self confidence to go up to a huge crowd of people and control them, then you're bound to end up a big-shot somewhere! lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol... I remember doing that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angel - Ooooh, I can imagine you doing something like that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Chavie, your school is known to have produced some good people. Hope you’d turn out to be like that too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Serendib - Awww! Thanks mate! :D Well, your school has produced some awesome people and two of them even commented on this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice! not everyone would do something like that.

    now remember his message OK malli? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lady Divine - Yeah, I'm thankful that he did! :)

    Haha, will try to remember it... That's mostly the reason why I put it into a post... I don't want to forget these little titbits of wisdom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a 'Malli!'
    @ Angel - Lol! I can so see you doing that with your pitchfork and all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue - Haha, yeah I can imagine Angel doing that too! :D

    ReplyDelete