Thursday, December 15, 2011

The perfect social network

...is not Google+. Har Har. ;P

Years after the party ended, and everybody had left, I joined Last.fm back in March. It's pretty neat. It stores records of all the music that you listen to quietly in the background and gives a running commentary on your profile page. Everything is neatly categorized, and every artist (even the more obscure ones) have an artist page. It's kinda a wiki, in that it allows users to tag artists and put up descriptions. And for old time music fans, it's a place for you to discover that the kid with a nice voice you're listening to from back in '66 just died a few months ago. :/ (I personally found of about Gerry Rafferty and Alex Chilton through Last.fm comments)

But seriously, for such a small time social network, the programmers have paid enormous attention to detail. Every little stat or arrangement you can imagine is available. It's a geek's dream. For someone who's trying to build a social network of sorts, it's an eye-opener about how creative you can get with a few more lines of code. For example, you can look at someone's library, go to an artist, and go to a particular album by that artist and look at their listening trends on that, like so:

The title track is amazing. And too short. :/

And Last.fm doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It's not Facebook pretending to be Twitter, or Google pretending to be social (don't kick me off G+, Sergey and Larry!). It's always been about the music. And they say the best way to discover good music is to look through someone else's library, and Last.fm allows you to do that in every way you can think of, without being an annoying babysitter. Power to the people, yo! :)

9 comments:

  1. I used to pay for last.fm but they don't have (or didnt have) a functional Android App. Hence I stopped. I like music in the car. Had some good times tho

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even heard of Last.fm till I read your post!!! :O does that make me sound sooooooo old???? ;) BUT...I am heading there right now...will tell you how I like it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. always wondered what this mystery of a site was. thanks for the post.

    can we subscribe to be recive updates from certain artists only?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indi - It looks a bit shady though, wouldn't trust them with my credit card. ;) I think Last.fm is understaffed, they recently had a bad server meltdown and took some time to recover. :/

    Hoot - SOOOOO SOOOO SOOOOO OLDHHHHH! :D I kid I kid. Most of my friends haven't heard of this place either. ;)

    Angel - Proves that you're definitely a sane person! :D

    WTB - Coolness, hope I've encouraged you to join and look around. :D

    Yep, they only show updates from artists in your library (the ones you listen to). You don't really have streaming updates, just tell you when they're on tour and where the concert venues are etc. :) There are also interesting fan groups that mail you updates. :D

    Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guy nice creation it is! I like it very much and impressed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The main reason people give up last.fm is that they take it for a music streaming service. Or are too lazy enough to install scrobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a neat site. Will check it out sometime. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete