Sunday, April 3, 2011

Guilt tripping the cricket fans

This post is not really about cricket. But for the record I'll just state that I enjoyed the match and as one of my friends said, "It was a game befitting of a final, unlike 2007". How very true.

But I have to instead talk about a duller and murkier topic than run rates, field placements and Poonam Pandey's knickers. There are a few people who've been suggesting that supporting the Sri Lankan cricket team equals supporting the Government of Sri Lanka and its policies. (The word 'genocide' is thrown around liberally by these people.) While its not untrue to say that a majority of Sri Lanka's 20 million people support the regime, the support for the cricket team transcends any petty political, ethnic or religious lines. They were watching the match in the south, in the north, the west, the east and up in the hills. Cricket is the glue that held us together during the most difficult periods of our history.

For me, I support the team because they represent me, and my 20 million countrymen. Not because of politics, not because waving a lion flag (something I've never done, to be honest) gives me a feeling of superiority or whatever the critics say it's supposed to do.

To all the haters, I say: Go fly a kite. We love our boys, and nothing is ever going to change that.

10 comments:

  1. Way to go Chavie, I don't even know the rules, but was checking them online, and supporting them. Sad to see them miss the chance but very glad that they were able to reach the finals. Boo to people who do not understand sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Cricket Team is the best we have to show our national identity to the world! It is something we can always be proud of as a nation.

    'To all the haters, I say: Go fly a kite' - well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said dude.

    But much as our support does transcend general political affiliations, in the aftermath of our loss, you could see how a possible win would have been used to gain political leverage. Which is extremely sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hardly think about politics when I am supporting the cricket team, or waving the Lion flag. Anyway, disappointed that we lost, but then, I knew we would go down to Indians. That was because I found out before the match that Astrologically, India was favoured to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know the funny thing, I was fuming over this last week too. A JVPer said to me, "The SL team should not win (they should loose on purpose!) to teach the gov a lesson" I was like WTF!!! and told him off in a way that I am sure he'll never speak to me again! What's with these people. Sport is sport! Nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magerata - This world cup saw previously unseen levels of public participation, even in our cricket-crazy isle. It was really apparent among people who weren't really into cricket, becoming die hard fans overnight and enjoying in the whole saga. Wonderful to watch! :D

    Kirigalpoththa - So true mate! :) It was wonderful to see people lining the streets from the airport to greet them...

    Danny - I agree. Sanjaya had written a nice note about it, how everything had been readied for the big man to bestow national honours on the boys and make it look like he was behind everything. Sick, sad. Sadder than even raising petroleum and gas prices during the match. -_-

    Amila - It was their day, and I heard a lot of people say 'welaawa' as well. :) Not to worry, T20 world cup's coming up next year and we'll be hosting it! :D

    Hoot - Ugh, sadder when it's Sri Lankans saying these things, not radicalised diaspora kids who grew up overseas... :/ It's like we've got to be ashamed of being Sri Lankan, hold our heads low and always hope for the worst things to happen to our motherland, just so the government can't spin it to its favour.

    Thanks for the comments, guys. And here's to many more memorable moments watching our boys do us proud! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have commitments to both SL n india and for what it's worth i think sports n politics should never be mixed. twas a finals to watch unlike 4 yrs ago :)

    -loshini

    ReplyDelete
  8. What truly sad and heartbreaking is Sanga stepping down from captaincy :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said with your usual economy of words! :) I think the pressure on our team was more political.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Losh - Totally. :) Some ugly stuff have happened since I posted this though, and as Meg mentions below you, the Captain, Vice captain and the whole selection committee had stepped down. The whole thing reeks of political influence. :(

    Meg - I know. Broke my heart. I think there's something fishy going on. :( He's just 33!!!

    Cerno - Yeah, in hindsight everything seems suspicious. I'm really really sad about everyone resigning, especially with the T20 World Cup coming up next year right here in Sri Lanka. :(

    Thanks for the comments, guys! Let's hope that politics and sports just split into two and never mix again... (idealistic and naive, I know!)

    ReplyDelete