Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bus route 99

More about the title later.

As the absence of posts in the last couple of days have suggested, I had a pretty awesomely busy weekend. Went to watch 'Bambara Walalla' with a friend on Saturday, and I have to say it was pretty good. Don't want to reveal any plot details, but at the end I felt a cocktail of emotions about how everyone acted. It's just that there is an absolute lack of any black or white characters, and all you see are various shades of grey. And the brightness and contrast of this grey picture changes abruptly with the plot twists and turns. Ok, I've said enough, methinks. If you're one of those people wait ages for a quality Sinhala movie comes, go catch this one. It's not perfect but it's one of the best I've ever seen. (Note: Regal, where I saw it, had English subtitles. So don't worry about the language issue). And the film was followed by a hastily organized blogger meetup on Sunday. Things are getting regular again, which I dig... :)

Ok, so Bus route 99. Colombo to Badulla (I've seen a couple of Welimada buses too)


You get on at Fort (or where I live, coz it passes in front of my house) get down in Kalupahana, trek up the 'Devil's staircase' to Horton Plains, camp, mess around in the highlands and take train from Ohiya back to Colombo. There, instant holiday. What say you, Meshak? ;)

Excuse the pointless post. Hopefully I'll get to write about how Meshak, Inosh and I ate a whole bag of 'gal siyambala' inside the networking lab soon! :D

14 comments:

  1. How about taking the same route, start hike from Kalupahana and climb Balathoduwa and Gonmolli Kanda with me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ado, I really wanted to come. what to do? :|

    Dude, you know I'm dying for this kinda thing. I have been nagging now for more than 6 months for us to go some where. I'm more than game.

    Ado, "Gal Siyamabala" was so good. We have to do it tomorrow, when Chandrika is in class. Now, that would be fun.

    @k, I'm coming along even if I'm not invite :P

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me-shak,
    You are invited :)
    Bring some 'Gal Siyambala'. that will be very handy along the trek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K and Meshak - Ok guys, looks like we've got a plan! :D LET'S DO THISSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome! Would be up for this once I get a bit fitter from my running schedule over the next couple of months :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want to see the movie too! guess i'll have to wait.

    Don;t you just love that google maps help with mapping sri lanka too?! i'm waiting for street view, although don't know how it's going to be with privacy issues and stuff later..but still, pretty cool!

    someday I shall get on a random bus and travel too. i envy you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, for that short and sweet film review! Wow, your planned trip(s)sound exciting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naren - Cooool! :D

    B.I. - You should, it's pretty good. :)

    Yeah, it's awesome. I was complaining a couple of months ago about how it couldn't give directions from one town to another (in Sri Lanka) but now they've added that feature too. :D

    Maybe next time you're down we can go somewhere on a bus? :D

    Amila - Hope it encouraged you to watch the film. :D And Thank you! :D Would be lovely if you could join us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, that sounds like a plan..although I don't know when that'll happen. But I like the thought of 'someday' :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you encouraged me to watch the film. Hiking is not my cuppa tea; I get distracted a lot by stuff, and end up lagging behind. So, I'll be a liability for such a high-octane trek. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a nice movie.

    Gal siyambala..! Haven't seen them in ages.. lucky you. =D

    And the trip.. sounds cool. Once you getta go, don't forgetta bring us lotsa souvenirs! (= pics + adventure packed stories) ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  12. B.I. - someday, surely! :D

    Amila - Glad I did, hope you enjoyed it! :D And yeah you'd be able to spot a couple of endemics on the way for sure! hehehe :D

    Harumi - Yep, it was. :D Well, if you look around a bit in Kandy I'm sure you'd be able to find some. Check roadside fruit stalls! :)

    Sure, will do. But with the rains setting in, I don't know when the next possible window for the trip would be. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds awesome! let me know if you are attempting this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whacko - Will do mate, but will have to wait till the rains die down no? :S

    ReplyDelete